Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region

Employee Injury Information

If You Are Hurt on the Job, You Should:

  1. Report the Injury To Your Supervisor. Report any workplace injury or illness to your supervisor immediately.  If your injury or illness developed gradually (like tendonitis or hearing loss), report it as soon as you learn it was caused by your job. Reporting promptly helps prevent problems and delays in receiving benefits, including medical care you may need to avoid further injury.  All injuries must be reported by your supervisor using the Supervisor's Injury Investigation Report.  An easy reference for injury reporting requirements can be found here:  Accident reporting flow chart
  2. Get Medical Treatment.  For emergencies call 911 from a cell phone or campus phone.  Other treatment options are described here.
  3. Fill Out A Claim Form.   Your supervisor will give you a claim Workers’ Compensation Claim Form (DWC 1) & Notice of Potential Eligibility
    within one working day after learning about your injury or illness. You use it to request workers' compensation benefits. Fill out and sign the employee portion of the claim form. Describe your injury completely. Include every part of your body affected by the injury. Give the form to your supervisor, (you have now "filed" a claim). Someone from the CSU's third party claims administration will contact you to direct your medical treatment.
  4. Participate With The Accident Investigation. The cause of your injury or illness needs to be determined by a thorough investigation by your supervisor and Environmental Health and Safety. The purpose of this investigation is to identify and locate accident causes and not to place blame. Accident investigation can uncover hazardous equipment or materials and helps the supervisor make engineering or work practice changes.
  5. Keep All Medical Appointments. You are expected to keep medical and therapy appointments or promptly notify the medical facility and supervisor and/or Human Resources of schedule changes. After treatment by a doctor, clinic or hospital, you should report your medical status (as well as delivering the status slip, if possible) to your immediate supervisor or the Office of Risk Management. During convalescence, you may be asked to respond to inquiries from the supervisor, Risk Management or Claims Administration. You should maintain accurate records of visits to medical facilities and time away from the job to assist with wage adjustments. You are expected to provide medical status reports periodically or when requested by the supervisor, Risk Management or the claims administrator.
  6. Call the Workers' Compensation Claim Coordinator at x73939.