Main Content Region

Field Trip Driving Requirements

Authorized Participants Of A CSUSB Field Trip Are Limited To

  • Faculty
  • Staff (academic)
  • Approved Volunteers (registered with Human Resources)
  • Enrolled Students
  • Enrolled ‘College of Extended Learning’ Students

Those Who May Be Authorized to Drive On A CSUSB Field Trip Are Limited To

  • Faculty
  • Staff (academic)
  • Enrolled students, graduate, or teaching assistants (whose duties are directly related to the class/or field trip)
  • Approved Volunteers (registered with Human Resources in SH-110)

Authorization Requirements Of Vehicle Drivers, Driving On A Field Trip

“All” University employees (Faculty or Staff) and official volunteers who are authorized to drive State vehicles are required to show:

  1. A valid California driver’s license
  2. A current Defensive Driver Training Certificate (Contact Parking Services at 909-537-5912 for training course registration)
  3. A good driving record as verified by the Parking Services Department.
  4. Employee drivers driving a personal vehicle (All driver requirements plus)
  5. If an employee is driving a private vehicle*, a completed Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business form STD 261 is to be submitted to the Department Chair.
  6. Proof of vehicle insurance for the minimum amount prescribed by law
  7. Volunteer drivers have the same requirements as an employee plus an official (HR registered) “Volunteer” form must be on file.
  8. Student drivers may not drive state vehicles unless they are employed by the State of California.
  9. If a student is driving a private vehicle ensure that field trip documents mention that travel is required for the field trip.  Please note, field trips begin and end at the site\location.

*Please note that your personal liability insurance is primary coverage when driving a privately owned vehicle.