Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse/Neglect
California State University Chancellor's Executive Order 1083, the Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse/Neglect, provides direction on implementing the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (“CANRA”) (Penal Code §§ 11164-11174.3), which is intended to protect children from abuse and neglect. On September 24, 2012, the Governor signed into law amendments to CANRA, which take effect January 1, 2013.
CANRA sets forth legal obligations of persons who are “mandated reporters” of child abuse or neglect. This executive order:
- Establishes who is a mandated reporter within the CSU;
- Identifies the responsibilities of mandated reporters;
- Provides forms and training resources for mandated reporters;
- Identifies information that must be included on job postings/position announcements and job descriptions;
- Requires each campus to designate a Mandated Reporting Coordinator; and
- Specifies the responsibilities of the campus Mandated Reporting Coordinator.