Welcome to Peer Mentors
Peer Mentors are current CSUSB Palm Desert Campus student leaders who assist first-year students with their transition through the university. Mentors help students connect with faculty and to on-campus programs, organizations, clubs, and ultimately, they are there to support their academic success.
About Peer Mentoring
Mission: Peer Mentors at CSUSB Palm Desert Campus foster the success of freshman students through peer support programs that encourage academic excellence, campus connectedness and engagement, and the personal growth and development of participating students.
Program Goals and Outcomes: Academic Excellence and Engagement
- Students who participate as peer advisors will demonstrate an understanding of campus resources and proactively seek support;
- Students who participate as peer advisors will be engaged learners;
- Students who participate as peer advisors will connect with faculty as mentors and advisors; and
- Students who participate as peer advisors will act as a role model for successful students.
Personal Growth and Development of Participating Students
- Students who participate as peer advisors will demonstrate a growth mindset;
- Students who participate as peer advisors will understand the importance of goal-setting for adult learners; and
- Students who participate as peer advisors will demonstrate organization and time management skills.
- Students who participate as peer advisors will demonstrate an understanding of learning communities; and
- Students who participate as peer advisors will demonstrate abilities to advise students on the importance of following schedules and educational plans.
We are located in IW 102.
Winter Hours:Monday: 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.Tuesday: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.Thursday: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Meet the Peer Mentors
Greetings! My name is Jake Vargas and I am entering my 4th year at CSUSB Palm Desert Campus as a business management major. The transition from high school to college can be stressful, but with campus activities, clubs and your Peer Mentor ready to assist, we can help you make the most of your freshman year. I am eager to begin helping you all and trying to answer any questions you may have!
Hi, my name is Pedro Saltipar and I am a criminal justice major. This is my fourth year at CSUSB Palm Desert Campus. I know that your first couple of days at PDC may be a little nerve wracking, but I encourage everyone to talk to any of the Peer Mentors, including myself, if you have any questions.
Hello everyone! My name is Alexis Rocha and I am majoring in Health Science with a concentration in Healthcare Management. This will be my fourth year attending CSUSB Palm Desert Campus and my second year working as a Peer Mentor. If you have any questions or concerns, don't be afraid to ask. I am excited to meet you all, let's make this a great year!