Administered by the College of Extended and Global Education at Cal State San Bernardino
This challenge examination option is intended for California teaching credential candidates and others who must fulfill the U.S. Constitution requirement for Baccalaureate candidates.
Important Note: By definition, this is a challenge examination to a full college-level course. As such, it is a very difficult examination and the assumption is that those taking the exam need only a review to help them prepare for the challenge examination. It is assumed that those challenging this examination have read the constitution and studied other pertinent documents and texts.
Online Module / Exam (Online Exam-Only Option Now Available)
3 options available:
All of the options entitle students to three attempts (maximum) at passing the U.S Constitution exam. The exam contains 50 multiple-choice questions; students must answer at least 35 questions correctly to earn a passing score. Each attempt is taken with a different version of the exam. Students who are not successful in their attempt(s) at taking the exam will receive notice of how many questions missed but are not told which questions nor the correct answers; this is a testing experience not a learning experience.
Students must present a photo I.D. before taking the exam. No notes can be used during the exam. Each of the three options must be completed within a year from the date you register. (Students who fail the exam three times must take an appropriate University course to complete this requirement.)
Certificates are issued by the College of Extended and Global Education to those who pass, and a notation is made on their University permanent record. A College of Extended and Global Education Certificate of Completion or notice of failure will be sent by mail, usually within 7-10 business days of taking the exam.
Note that this is a testing experience and not an educational experience. Students who take this exam will not be given the correct answers to questions missed. This course does not guarantee passing of the exam.
Register for a one-day U.S. Constitution exam preparation course and exam.
This preparation course is offered at least once per quarter and yields the highest success rate of the three options for preparation for the examination. This course is designed to help prepare you for the challenge examination and includes a presentation of the basic principles and provisions of the U.S. Constitution and its amendments but is not a complete preparation for the exam. An opportunity to take the U.S. Constitution exam is administered at the conclusion of the course.
Course No.: EECR 1018Section: 01Unit(s): CR/NCFee: $85 (includes testing fee)Time: 9 am–3 pmLocation: SAN BERNARDINO—CSUSB, YC–107/108Instructor(s): Brian Janiskee
|Winter 2020||23830||February 29, 2020||Dr. Brian Janiskee||February 27, 2020|
|Spring 2020||43697||5/9/2020||Dr. Brian Janiskee||5/7/2020|
|Summer 2020||Coming Soon!||Coming Soon!||Dr. Brian Janiskee||Coming Soon!|
Dr. Brian P. Janiskee
Brian P. Janiskee received his Ph.D. from Michigan State University and is professor and chair of the Department of Political Science at California State University, San Bernardino, where he is also a faculty member in the national security studies program. He has published several articles and books on such topics as special districts, crime policy, presidential elections, American colonial local government, and national security.
Suggested books in the CSUSB Pfau Library to review for the U.S. Constitution exam:
We the People by Thomas Patterson
American Government (eighth edition) by James Q. Wilson and John J. Dilulio, Jr. ( Chapters 2 and 11)
The Founding of the Democratic Republic by Martin Diamond. ( Chapters 2, 3, 4)
- $85.00—U.S. Constitution preparation course; includes prep course, examination administration and scoring of first exam attempt.
- $72.00—U.S. Constitution preparation online module and examination; includes online module review, examination administration and scoring of first exam attempt.
- $50.00—U.S. Constitution exam only; no online module or classroom preparation; includes administration and scoring of each exam attempt, up to three attempts. (Additional $50.00—U.S. Constitution examination administration and scoring fee for each of the second and third exam attempts.)
- $65–U.S. Constitution Exam Only, Online Option; no online module or classroom preparation; includes administration and scoring of each exam attempt, up to three attempts (Additional $65- U.S. Constitution examination administration and scoring fee for each of the second and third exam attempts.)
- $31.00—Online Module only.
- $25.00-Administrative fee will be charged for any expedited processing requests received by email. (Regular processing time takes 7-10 business days).
- $25.00 – Administrative fee will be charged for all US Constitution duplicate Grade Mailer/Certificate of Completion copies.
* Fees are subject to change