U-Thrive Educational Services
The I'm First Alliance, an initiative for first-generation college students (students whose parents/guardians have not received a four-year degree), is excited to partner with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to offer first-generation first-year students a mental health and wellness program in the spring 2021 semester. The program will be administered through the support of U-Thrive Educational Services.
U-Thrive offers research-based skills and tools in the fields of Positive Psychology, Mindfulness, and Self-Compassion to help students manage stress, become more resilient, and thrive throughout their undergraduate experiences and beyond. Students will participate in a five-hour, five-module program focusing on the topics of well-being, stress and mental health, mindfulness, self-compassion and diversity, equity & inclusion.
Students will not only have the opportunity to learn and grow in the areas mentioned above, but will build a community with other students who are committed to life-long wellness.
- Attend a 30-minute welcome/program overview meeting
- Complete all five modules (average 60 minutes each)
- Attend three mandatory 90-minute debrief sessions (facilitated by FYE and CAPS)
- Complete a pre and post assessment
- Total number of hours to commit during the spring semester = ONLY 10 HOURS (not including recommended activities and additional resources)
Students who participate in the program will learn:
- Strategies for managing stress
- Tools for building resilience
- Deeper insight into what constitutes happiness
- Self-awareness, understanding, acceptance and compassion
- How to find purpose and meaning
Student participants will receive:
- First-generation t-shirt
- U-Thrive book
- A padfolio with notepad
- Blue-ray blocking glasses
- Cell phone holder/stand
- Webcam cover
- More incentives involved for those who take full advantage of the program, through completing modules, attending sessions and being an overall engaged participant.
January 22 Deadline to submit interest form
January 25 Students will be notified if they have been selected to participate
February 2 Welcome Meeting (30 minutes)
February 2-7 Module 1 (Well-being)
February 8-14 Module 2 (Stress and Mental Health)
February 16 & 18 U-Thrive Debrief/meeting (Modules 1-2), 12-1:30 pm*
February 22-28 Module 3 Week (mindfulness)
March 1-7 Module 4 Week (self-compassion)
March 9 & 11 U-Thrive Debrief/meeting week (Modules 3-4), 12-1:30 pm*
March 15-21 Module 5 Week (diversity, equity & inclusion)
March 23 & 25 U-Thrive Debrief/meeting week (Modules 5), 12-1:30 pm*
*Students will only need to attend one of the debrief meetings from 12-1:30 pm
Program Facilitation Plan
Completing the Modules
Each module includes videos with moments for reflection, optional activities based on the topic, and additional resources including articles, books, websites and published research papers. Students will only be required to watch the videos, complete the reflections and will be encouraged to review selected additional resources and participate in the activities offered.
Participating in Debrief Meetings
During the debrief/check-in meetings, students will join other students, the First Year Experience Coordinator and CAPS counselors to debrief and reflect on what was presented in the module. This will be an opportunity for students to share their experiences, learn about others experiences and find ways to support each other. This will be your opportunity to tell others how you are now more intentionally incorporating what you have learned into your daily activities, habits and lives.
The deadline to apply is Friday, January 22nd by 12 p.m.