The Jack H. Brown College of Business and Public Administration values joint research opportunities with faculty and students. As such, each quarter the college funds a number of eligible candidates to be graduate and research assistants (GA). Please note: There are currently three offices under the College of Business that handle the hiring details for graduate/lab assistants.
- Melissa Farley (JB 212) assists in hiring business students for GA positions with business faculty.
- The MPA Office in JB456 assists in hiring public administration (PA) students for GA positions with PA faculty.
- The Info. & Decision Sciences Office in JB460 assists in hiring students as IDS lab assistants.
How it works: Every quarter an announcement is sent out a few weeks before the NEXT QUARTER to students and faculty along with the deadline date to receive applications and requests for that quarter. The typical work period is usually 10 hours per week for 12 weeks. Below are dates given as a reference.
FALL QUARTER: Start date would be October 1st through December 31st
WINTER QUARTER: Start date would be January 1st through March 31st
SPRING QUARTER: Start date would be April 1st through June 30th
NOTE: The technical starting and ending date for each quarter would reflect the above. However, the actual starting and ending dates for the students would be close to these dates - covering a 12 week period per quarter. The SUMMER session would be different given the dates available for the student to work.
Things a student should know before he/she applies and if hired:
- A student is not permitted to have dual employment on campus that would exceed 20 hours per week.
- A student must obtain a social security card before they can start work as a graduate assistant.
- A student must submit to a background check if he/she accepts a graduate assistant appointment.
- A student must complete all hiring steps (including HR’s new employee orientation) before they can start.
- A student must always conduct themselves in a positive and professional manner.
- A student must be responsible in submitting timesheets and picking up their checks in a timely manner.
- A student must notify the appropriate CBPA’s hiring representative as soon as possible if having to terminate their appointment early due to an appropriate and justifiable reason.
Students: Interested students are requested to submit a copy of their most recent résumé with their application form before the quarterly deadline. They are also encouraged to network with faculty to see if they can be matched with a faculty member before they submit their application form – typically one GA appointment per student will be considered for approval.
Faculty: Faculty members must also submit a GA request form before the quarterly deadline – typically one GA per faculty will be considered for approval. We encourage faculty to meet with students that approach them for a GA opportunity and to hopefully find a good match to fit their needs. If a faculty member needs a student for more than 10 hours per week for 12 weeks, they must certify through the appropriate administrator via the Graduate Programs Office.
Graduate Lab Assistants: In addition to the general graduate assistant opportunities, there are graduate lab assistant positions available to work in the CBPA Labs each quarter; these are paid from a separate fund. Students will need to fill out the same graduate assistant application form. If they’ve already met with Ian Jacobs, the Computer Resources Manager, and have been offered a graduate lab assistant position, the student will need to check off the appropriate box on the application form.
Graduate Assistantship Forms for Students and Faculty Members
- Graduate Assistant Application Form - contact Melissa Farley for additional information.
- New Hire - International Students - contact Melissa Farley for additional information.
- Faculty Request Form - contact Melissa Farley for additional information.
- Example Timesheet for Graduate Assistants
- Excel Timesheet template - download and complete by computer; then print to obtain signature.
- Student Quarterly Evaluation - completed by the faculty supervisor at the end of each appointment.
In addition to the forms above, “new and international students” must complete the following information that may pertain to them.