MailMan treats messages from members differently than non-members. You can customise the behavior of both members and non-members. For help managing your Mailman list, refer to the "Managing Mailman Lists Video" page.
The configuration of a Mailman list allows you to create three basic types of lists: Announcement lists, Discussion lists, and Public lists.
- Announcement lists
- An announcement list only allows specific addresses to send to it. Member addresses are moderated and mail from member and non-member addresses are rejected unless specifically allowed.
- This type of list can be used for an electronic newsletter or for anything requiring one-way communication with the members of the list.
- Discussion lists
- A discussion list allows members to post messages to the list. Non-members are rejected unless specifically allowed.
- This type of list can be used for class discussions, an electronic bulletin board, or anything requiring two-way communication.
- Public lists
- A public list allows anyone to send to it. Both members and non-members are allowed to post to it.
- This type of list can be used to answer questions from the public or anything where you need members to get messages from anyone.