About Qualtrics Survey Software
Qualtrics is an online survey tool developed by Qualtrics Labs, Inc. and is available to support research, teaching, and continuous improvement at CSUSB. Qualtrics is designed to create survey instruments, distribution of surveys, data storage and analysis. You can learn more about Qualtrics by visiting their website.
Qualtrics is available to all faculty, staff, and students. You can access your standard Qualtrics account through MyCoyote. Students who wish to distribute surveys must have approval from a sponsoring faculty or staff and/or Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval.
Getting Started with Qualtrics
Qualtrics University provides complimentary training, support, and online resources to introduce users to the most commonly used features. Below are links to several tutorials to learn the basics of creating, editing, distributing, and viewing results in Qualtrics.
Qualtrics is available to all CSUSB faculty, staff, and students supervised in a class or research setting. Qualtrics survey software requires a CSUSB email account login and password through MyCoyote. You must use the CSUSB Qualtrics MyCoyote login to create an account. If you go to the public Qualtrics website and create a trial account there, any surveys you create or data you collect will not be accessible from the CSUSB Qualtrics site.
Faculty, staff, and student accounts are unlimited in terms of the amount of respondents and surveys deployed. These accounts are active until separation from the university occurs.
CSUSB compliance for Qualtrics
Some surveys may need to be evaluated by the Institutional Review Board and require approval prior to the initiation of the survey. In general, if you expect to publish your findings in terms of a thesis, dissertation, or journal, you will need IRB approval. For campus program or department evaluation, or continuous improvement of a campus program or service, IRB approval may not be needed. To be certain, contact IRB
Use of the survey service is subject to the same policies and guidelines for the use of CSUSB computing resources and other services on campus.
Training to use Qualtrics
Qualtrics offers free web training sessions covering various topics conducted regularly. Visit any one of these links to view videos or register for a training:
The Office of Academic Technologies and Innovation can also provide sessions about Qualtrics. The Office of Institutional Research can provide an overview of good survey design and can assist in aligning the vision, mission, and goals with activities and measures for your program. Please feel free to contact any of these offices for a customized session that fits your needs.
Qualtrics administrator for the CSUSB campus is Rich McGee from Administrative Computing and Business Intelligence under ITS. CSUSB Qualtrics accounts in colleges and divisions are supervised by their own division administrators who are typically the IT representatives assigned to colleges and division. You may search the campus directory for the following representatives:
- College of Arts and Letters – Ken Han
- College of Business and Public Administration – Ian Jacobs
- College of Education – Marita Mahoney
- College of Extended Learning – Stacia McCambridge
- College of Natural Sciences – Patrick Bungard
- College of Social Behavioral Sciences – David Nimri
- Psychology Department – Kelly Campbell
- Information Technology Services – Michael Chen, Luisa Hawkins
- Student Affairs – Brian Willess
- Academic Affairs – Qiana Wallace
- Administration and Finance – Dayna Brown
- President’s Office – Muriel Lopez-Wagner
- University Advancement – Crystal Vickery
- University Enterprise Corporation – Christina Rodriguez
Items below are to ensure Qualtrics is not used for applications outside the license and that all IRB determinations have been obtained and other relevant university guidelines have been followed. Use of Qualtrics is subject to the same policies and guidelines for the use of CSUSB computing resources as other policies and procedures set forth by the Division of Information Technology Services. Users must comply with all other applicable university policies, state and federal laws, including the federal copyright laws.
- Faculty and staff are responsible for general oversight of acceptable and responsible use of Qualtrics among their students and graduate assistants in accordance with university policies.
- Survey research involving human subjects are required to obtain proper IRB approval. See the CSUSB Institutional Review Board Policy for help on deciding if your survey requires approval.
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of human subjects and other institutional information as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (privacy of student information) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) (privacy of patient information).For more comprehensive information on FERPA and HIPAA please visit the following websites:
- Qualtrics will archive and retain survey instruments and survey responses indefinitely. However, users are responsible for downloading and archiving their data to other media such as a local hard drive or flash drive prior to expiration of the Qualtrics account. None of the CSUSB offices are responsible for archiving your data.
- CSUSB Qualtrics administrators routinely monitor the volume of surveys and survey respondents for system management purposes. Usage may be subject to auditing and security testing.
- Proper authorization is required for use of any copyright material or third party logo used in the survey. Please refer to the CSUSB Copyright Material Access Policy for more details.
- Using your Qualtrics account for non-university related activities is prohibited. This includes personal use or use on behalf of a company/other unit (whether for pay or not).
- Inappropriate language or content in the survey itself is prohibited.
- Sharing your Qualtrics account with unauthorized users is prohibited.
- Users are prohibited from spamming or phishing or use other forms of unsolicited mass communication in conjunction with Qualtrics.
- All Qualtrics survey distributions must originate from a valid CSUSB (csusb.edu) email address. Survey distributions from email addresses such as, Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, or other non-CSUSB address are prohibited.
- Misuse of CSUSB logos, seals, or trademarks is prohibited.
- Distributing content that is defamatory or obscene and distributing content that conflicts with the best interests and stated goals of CSUSB is prohibited.
Inappropriate behavior/content/usage or other abuse of your Qualtrics account will lead to the following consequences:
1st incident - Warning: A warning email will be sent to the abusing party (as well as the faculty advisor in the case of student use). This email will let the user know that a violation of the policies has occurred and that the violating behavior must stop immediately.
2nd incident - Removal of Access: If there is a second violation of the policies, then the abusing individual's access to the Qualtrics system will be removed.
Note: If the 1st incident is determined to be gross misconduct then CSUSB administrator may remove access to Qualtrics at that time. The label of gross misconduct will be at the discretion of CSUSB administrator and/or administrative authorities.
Surveys created or the responses supplied using the CSUSB Qualtrics Survey Software do not in any way constitute official CSUSB content. Views and opinions expressed in surveys created with Qualtrics are strictly those of the survey's primary author. CSUSB makes no representations or warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, as to the CSUSB Qualtrics Survey Software operation or the information, content or materials included. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, CSUSB hereby disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including by not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose. CSUSB will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of or inability to use Qualtrics Survey Software. The user expressly agrees to use Qualtrics Survey Software solely at his/her own risk.