Separations must be requested with Voluntary Student Assistant Separation Request (Voluntary) or a Student Assistant Dismissal Request (Involuntary).
All Voluntary and Involuntary Requests must be communicated to Student Employment and Payroll before any action is taken to ensure proper separation and secure final pay for student assistants. The notice is helpful because it allows the department to work with Payroll in order to have a timely Final Paycheck.
Voluntary Separation Form
Voluntary Separations include:
- Graduating (cannot work beyond the last day of finals week during eligible term)
- Student to staff or faculty position
Per AB 2410, which amended Section 220 of the Labor Code, an employee who voluntarily resigns must be paid wages earned no later than 72 hours from the date of separation.
Although it is customary to provide at least two (2) weeks' notice, such notice is not legally required.
- A student assistant who resigns from employment must be paid wages earned no later than 72 hours from the date of separation.
- If the student provides notice of resignation at least 72 hours in advance, then all wages earned must be paid on the last day of employment.
Involuntary Dismissal Request Form
Involuntary Dismissals must have HR Approval before any action is taken which include but are not limited to:
- GPA Ineligibility
- Budget limitation
- Attendance/observance of work hours
- Serious misconduct
Per AB 2410, which amended Section 220 of the Labor Code, an employee who is discharged must be paid wages earned immediately.
Note: The student is entitled to receive pay for all hours worked at the time of separation. Failure to comply is in violation of the Assembly Bill AB 2410 section 220 and may result in fines to the department.
Mass terminations for Students under Job Codes: 1870 and 1868 will be completed at the end of every academic year. (No termination required)
Mass terminations for Students under Job Code: 1874 will be completed at the beginning of every academic year. (No termination required)
Last Updated: 11/27/17