The university no longer requires students to provide bound copies of their thesis, project or dissertation. However, if you would like to have a copy bound you may make your own arrangements through a binding company, or you may place an order through Graduate Studies.
Below are four companies the university has used in the past with good results; however, you may use any bindery you wish. Some companies require that a paper copy be sent to them for binding, while others will print the manuscript for you from a pdf file. Traditionally, CSUSB uses Buckram Royal Blue (#588) hardcover and gold lettering on the spine. Thesis, projects, and dissertations are formatted to be printed single-sided.
- Kater-Crafts Book Binders
4860 Gregg Road, Pico Rivera, CA 90660
Phone: (562) 692-0665
- Thesis on Demand (Place orders online)
1010 North Sycamore Street
North Manchester, IN 46962
Phone: (800) 334-3628
- Golden Rule Bindery
242 Bingham Drive, Suite 101
San Marcos, CA 92069
Phone: (760) 471-4331
- Herring & Robinson Bookbinders
100 North Hill Dr., Unit 5
Brisbane, CA 94005
Phone: (415) 468-0440
Graduate Studies Binding Process
Graduate Studies will accept orders for bound copies from CSUSB graduates who have published their thesis, project, or dissertation on ScholarWorks. The cost is $32 per copy.
Copies will be bound by Herring & Robinson and will follow university specifications:
- Hard cover is Buckram Royal Blue (#588)
- Spine title in gold, all capital letters: Includes shortened title of manuscript, author's last name, year of graduation, and university (CSUSB).
Graduates must provide the printed copies to be bound. Graduate Studies does not provide printing services. Copies must comply to the following specifications:
- Pages are printed single-sided
- Inside (left) margin is 1.5 inches
- White paper
- Print and complete the thesis binding form.
- Print the copies you wish to have bound.
- Bring the copies and form to the Office of Graduate Studies, CE 356. Graduate Studies will verify your degree completion and authorize payment on the form.
- Take the binding form to Student Financial Services and pay for binding.
- Return the form and receipt to Graduate Studies.
Copies are shipped to the bindery and the process takes about 3 weeks. You will be contacted when your bound copies are ready to be picked up. Herring & Robinson can also ship the copies directly to you; make sure to specify the shipping address when you place your order.