Background Checks for Unit 3 Faculty, Librarians, Counselors, Coaches and Unit 11 (ISA, GA, TA)
Background Check Policy Highlights and Request Procedures
- Updates HR-2016-08
- Background checks are required for all new hires.
- Background checks are required for current employees when:
- Federal or state law requires a background check and/or
- The current employee is voluntarily moving into a position for which a background check is required by law or a sensitive position that requires a background check.
- Student workers must have background checks if they will have duties that would require a background check by law.
- Background checks are required for volunteers if they will have duties and responsibilities that would require a background check by law.
- Independent contractors, consultants, auxiliaries and outside entities who operate under the CSU name or on CSU property are responsible for ensuring that their employees have had background checks if they perform duties that are defined as sensitive or require a background check by law.
- Background check notifications must be on all job postings.
- Background checks are NOT required for:
- FERP employees, unless they voluntarily move into positions that would require a background check
- Current employees, unless they voluntarily move into a position that requires a background check
- Employees rehired at the same campus who have had a CSU background check performed in the previous 12 months
- Employees re-appointed to the same position at the same campus within 12 months
- All background checks require employment verification, education verification, reference checks, and criminal records checks. Other job-related checks may also be required depending on the position.
- Responsibilities have been defined for the roles of the campus background check coordinator, decision maker(s), and records custodian.
- Guidelines are included for assessing whether a criminal history is job-related and should disqualify a candidate.
- Guidelines and appropriate forms have been provided for consideration of adverse criminal records check results.
- Credit checks are not required and may only be done for specific jobs designated under California law, and if the campus determines check to be job-related.
- Appeals process for adverse criminal records checks and adverse credit checks have been detailed.
Procedures for submitting Background Check Request
The following steps should be followed when submitting a background check:
- The Dean/Department Chair (with approval of the Provost; if applicable) extends a verbal/conditional job offer of employment to candidate contingent upon satisfactory completion of background check:
- Full Time Faculty - Academic Personnel will submit the background request form
- Part Time Faculty – College/department designee will submit the background request form with candidate information to firstname.lastname@example.org and AcademicPersonnel- email@example.com. The appropriate forms can be found on the Human Resources Background Check Policy page.
- The Compliance Coordinator will submit the request to Accurate Background Inc. Accurate Background Inc. will notify the Compliance Coordinator when results are ready to view and approve. The estimated turnaround time for results is up to 14 business days after the candidate completes the online authorization. Vendor will send candidate an email with system log in information to authorize process.
- Candidate’s file
- Full Time faculty files are sent to and maintained in Academic Personnel.
- Part Time faculty files are maintained in the department office.
- Unit 11 Academic Student Employees (ISA, TA, and GA) files are maintained in the department office.