At the recent WSCA convention, Dr. Bergquist and her co-authors were awarded the Aubrey Fisher Outstanding Journal Article Award for her article:
Bergquist, G., Soliz, J., Everhart, K., Braithwaite, D. O., & Kreimer, L. (2019). Investigating layers of identity and identity gaps in refugee resettlement experiences in the Midwestern United States. Western Journal of Communication, 83(3), 383-402.
This is the most prestigious award given by WSCA for a journal article. The Western Journal of Communication is an extremely competitive journal with a 12% acceptance rate. The award is described below:
Fisher Award Committee Chair: Robin Rowland
Presented each year for the best article(s) appearing in the Western Journal of Communication. Criteria are:
- Significance of the article's contribution to the literature of the discipline.
- Level of response the article has elicited from other scholars and teachers.
- Substantive importance and methodological rigor—significance of the topic and elegance and thoroughness of the study's method.
- Substantive and/or methodological innovativeness—the degree to which the article breaks new ground.
- Style-clarity, grace, parsimony, evocativeness of expression.
In addition to Dr. Bergquist's outstanding achievement, Dr. Heisterkamp was also recognized for his years of service in leadership positions (First Vice President, President-Elect, President, and Immediate Past-President) to the Western States Communication Association. As President-Elect, Brian was responsible for planning the WSCA 89th Annual Convention, and his convention theme was Mindfulness and Communication.