We accept applications from students interested in starting our M.A. program in either the Spring or Fall terms.
For students seeking to start the M.A. program in Fall 2024, the application deadline is April 15, 2024.
For students seeking to start the M.A. program in Spring 2024, the application deadline is November 15, 2023
To be considered for admission to the MA in Communication Studies graduate program, applicants must meet the following, minimum requirements:
- A 3.0 overall undergraduate GPA OR 3.0 for the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units;
- Successful completion of undergraduate courses in Communication Theory and Research Methods (or their equivalents)
- Completed your undergraduate degree in another discipline like Sociology or Marketing? Please apply, and -- if accepted -- you can complete these prerequisite courses in our undergraduate program.
- International students must have received a TOEFL score of 575 or higher (computer-based score of 233 or internet-based score of 89) OR an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
To apply to CSUSB's MA in Communication Studies graduate program, applicants should prepare the following:
- contact information for three letter-writers, who will be contacted to submit a letter of recommendation;
- an academic or professional writing sample; and
- a one-page essay relating the MA in Communication Studies to your life or career goals,
Applicants who also wish to be considered for the Graduate Teaching Associate (GTA) program, also need to prepare the following:
- a curriculum vitae or resume; and
- and a one-page statement of intent
Submitting your Application
Applicants to CSUSB's MA in Communication Studies graduate program submit their application materials using the Cal State Apply website. For guidance on using Cal State Apply, please see this Application Tutorial or these step-by-step videos. Technical support is available using the Live Chat feature on the website. Or, you can call 857-304-2087 or e-mail Cal State Apply.
Application Review, Offer, & Acceptance
Step 1: The applicant submits application materials using the Cal State Apply website.
Step 2: CSUSB's Office of Graduate Studies confirms that the applicant meets minimum University requirements for graduate school.
Step 3: The Department of Communication Studies Graduate Committee reviews the applicant's file and determines whether to admit the applicant. The Committee also determines whether admitted students need to satisfy any conditions (e.g., undergraduate prerequisites) before beginning graduate-level coursework.
Step 4: The program's Graduate Coordinator notifies the applicant of the Committee's admission decision.
Step 5: The admitted applicant notifies the Graduate Coordinator whether they accept the offer.
Step 6: Admitted students enroll in coursework in consultation with the Graduate Coordinator.
Questions & Support
If you have questions about applying to graduate school at CSUSB, please consult this FAQ from CSUSB's Office of Graduate Studies, or contact CSUSB's Graduate Admissions team. International student applicants should direct inquiries to CSUSB's International Admissions office.
If you have any questions about applying to the M.A. in Communication Studies graduate program in particular, please contact the program's Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Ahlam Muhtaseb.