A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States (U.S.) must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. At CSUSB we host 2 categories of student/scholar visas: F-1 and J-1.  The H-1B visa is used for tenure track faculty positions, along with certain eligible staff positions.   

While having a visa does not guarantee entry to the U.S., it does indicate a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad has determined you are eligible to seek entry to the U.S. DHS / Customs and Border Protection officers are responsible for the admission of travelers to the U.S. for a specified status and period of time.


The F-1 status is a non-immigrant, full-time, student visa that allows foreigners to pursue education in the U.S. When an applicant is accepted into an academic program at CSUSB, the Center for International Studies and Programs will issue a form I-20 which lists your program and biographical information, that you will use to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate. Please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate for instructions on apply for an F-1 visa. To apply as an F-1 student go here.



To become a J-1 student, you must apply as a Non-Degree Sekking (Transitory) student at CSUSB from your home institution.  The department incharge of study abroad or exchanges can tell you if there is an agreement between CSUSB and your home institution.  To apply as an J-1 student go here.


The exchange visitor (J-1) nonimmigrant visa category is provided for persons who are approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the U.S. The scholar must first apply, meet university requirements, and be accepted into an Exchange Visitor Program at CSUSB.  To become a research scholar, you must contact an academic department to host your stay at CSUSB.  To apply for a J-1 Faculty/Scholar program go here.  Eligible categories are:

  • Professor
  • Research Scholar
  • Short-term Scholar
  • Specialist


The Center for International Studies and Programs will process the H-1B petition for new tenure-track nonresident faculty only. For all other positions, the beneficiary first contact Human Resources.  To learn more about the H-1B visa process go here.