Main Content Region

Curricular Practical Training

Students are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if the program requires employment.  CPT can be taken during summer or during the academic year but students must show how it is part of their academic program.  As a reminder, one year of full-time CPT cancels the opportunity for OPT.  

Online Services


  1. Must be in F-1 status for at least nine (9) months of continuous enrollment.
  2. Employment must be part of the student’s academic program and be directly related to student's field of study.
  3. Must be enrolled in 12 units for undergraduates or 8 units for graduates.
  4. Must have a minimum 2.0 GPA for undergraduates or 3.0 GPA for graduates.
  5. Must be authorized by the Center for International Studies and Programs.


  1. Review the CPT FAQs and application.
  2. Obtain a letter from employer (on company letterhead) stating working hours per week, beginning and end dates, and a brief job description.
  3. Must be enrolled in an internship class, identify as necessity in the university catalog/department handbook, or obtain a letter from an academic advisor stating how the position is required for a Master’s project, thesis, or independent study:
    • The goals and objectives of the specific academic training program;
    • A description of the academic training program, including its location, the name and address of the training supervisor, number of hours per week, and dates of the training;
    • How the academic training relates to the student's major field of study; and
    • Why it is an integral or critical part of the academic program of the student.
  4. Submit the request to online services.
  5. Pick up documents after five (5) working days or request to send by mail.

NOTE: Students that do not have a Social Security Number should apply for a social security letter at the same time.