CSUSB is authorized to host J-1 exchange visitors, to complete the objectives under one of the exchange visitor program categories. Those applicable for faculty or visiting scholars are:
- Research Scholar
- Short-term Scholar
At the conclusion of their program, participants are expected to return to their home countries to share the experience and skills they have acquired while in the United States.
- Please contact Dr. Hyunkyung Oh at email@example.com for the procedures.
- You are required to submit a curriculum vitae and research proposal, complete with goals and timeline of activities.
- Once reviewed, you will receive an application from CISP, which will be used to create a DS-2019. The DS-2019 will be used to obtain a J-1 visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Curriculum vitae
- Research proposal
- Visiting Scholar Application
- Degree certificate and English level placement
- University recommendation letters in support of your visit
- Documentation of funding
- Copies of visa documents
- Family support documents
- Health insurance
VERIFICATION OF ENGLISH PROFICIENCY
As required by J-1 visa regulation, all visiting scholar need to provide evidence that his/her English skills are sufficient to live and conduct research in the United States. Below are the English language verification options:
OPTION 1. Evidence from citizenship of a country whose official language is English.
OPTION 2. A degree from a postsecondary institution whose language of instruction is English (If outside the U.S, please add a letter from the registrar that the official language is taught in English.)
OPTION 3. Evidence of having obtained the minimum required scores on a recognized English language test: TOEFL of 61 iBT/500 paper based; equivalent, TOEIC, IELTS, CEFR or ITEP score; or CET 6. Only test scores from within the past five years will be considered.
OPTION 4. Skype interview with CSUSB sponsoring department by the faculty mentor.
OPTION 5. Interview with an English professor of a university who can present a written letter.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Hyunkyung Oh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 909-537-5193.