Main Content Region

H-1B Application Process


The H-1B is a nonimmigrant classification used for temporary employment in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor's degree or its equivalent.

To make a request, please submit the visa request and visa information forms.

Hiring College:

College H-1B Request Form

International Faculty or Staff Members:

Visa Information Form / Document Checklist


You can maintain H-1B status for a maximum of six years. Your initial H-1B status can be granted for up to three years, and you can renew your status for up to three additional years.

After six years in H-1B status, you must leave the United States for one year before an employer can file a new H-1B petition for you. H-1B status may be granted for longer than six years in limited cases.


H-1B employees can do only the work that is listed on their H-1B petition. The employer (hiring department), title, duties, and location of the job must match what the petition says. If the job changes, or the employee receives a sizeable raise the department may need to file a new H-1B petition.


H-1B employees may choose to pursue permanent residence in the United States. This is different from other visa categories, which require you to prove that you plan to return to your home country after your program ends. If you wish to apply for permanent residence, please see an immigration attorney as soon as possible, once you have contacted CISP for H-1B processing.

Please keep the job advertisement for which you applied to CSUSB.  The copy must be from the top of the page to the very bottom of the page as they want to see the name and date of publication. The Department of Labor wishes to see the names of the other schools that appeared on the same page. 

This will help when you apply for Permanent Residence.


If you have been in the United States as a J-1 exchange visitor or J-2 dependent and are subject to the two-year home residency requirement, you have two options. Before you apply for an H-1B, you can either fulfill the requirement or have it waived.

For additional information or consultation, contact CISP’s Immigration Lead, Kimberly Gentile at  or call CISP at 909-537-5193.