A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States (U.S.) must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. At CSUSB we host 2 categories of student/scholar visa: F-1 and J-1.

While having a visa does not guarantee entry to the U.S., it does indicate a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad has determined you are eligible to seek entry to the U.S. DHS / Customs and Border Protection officers are responsible for the admission of travelers to the U.S. for a specified status and period of time.


The F-1 status is a non-immigrant, full-time, student visa that allows foreigners to pursue education in the U.S. When an applicant is accepted into an academic program at CSUSB, the Center for International Studies and Programs will issue a form I-20 which lists your program and biographical information, that you will use to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate. Please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate for instructions on apply for an F-1 visa.


The exchange visitor (J-1) nonimmigrant visa category is provided for persons who are approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the U.S. The scholar must first apply, meet university requirements, and be accepted into an Exchange Visitor Program at CSUSB (there we accept both students and visiting scholars). To become a J-1 student, you must apply as a visiting student at CSUSB from your home institution. To become a research scholar, you must contact an academic department to host your stay at CSUSB.


The Center for International Studies and Programs will process the H-1B petition for new tenure-track nonresident faculty only. For all other positions, the beneficiary first contact Human Resources.