Laboratory, field, or computational research, data analysis, and/or literature research conducted under the direction of a faculty member. Department consent and final written report required. Consent of instructor required. Formerly 595A. Materials fee required. (1-3 units)
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN BERNARDINO
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY & BIOCHEMISTRY
Chemistry 595X: Independent Study
- Candidates should have senior status or have completed the core courses.
- Candidates should have a 2.5 GPA in Chemistry or include in their application for consent to take this course a convincing argument that they are sufficiently knowledgeable and self-motivated to undertake the proposed independent study.
- The candidate should arrange, before preparing his application, a specific Chemistry faculty member to sponsor and mentor the work. The project may be the candidate's idea or one suggested by a faculty member.
- The candidate must complete the application form (including a research proposal written by the candidate) and submit it to the Department Chair no later than the following deadlines:
- Fall semester: 10 days (weekdays) before the last day of the preceding regular or second summer session/ Spring semester: 10 days before the last day in the preceding semester.
- The Department Chair will circulate the application throughout the Department and determine the consensus on the acceptability of the candidates' application within five days following the above deadlines.
- The candidate should ask the Chair the status of his application before the quarter begins. If a revision is necessary, the revised application must be returned to the Chair three days later.
- Once all the faculty members signatures have been obtained, the Chair will arrange for the appropriate Chem 595X section enrollment with a department administrative support coordinator, under the direction of the faculty research mentor..
- It is the responsibility of the faculty research mentorto make arrangements for any space, equipment, or materials needed in the study prior to registration.
- The final grade is partially based on a Final Report written by the student. A copy of the Report is to be placed in the student's Department file by the faculty research mentor.