Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region

Undeclared Advising

As an undeclared student, Advising and Academic Services in UH-380 is your university department until you declare a major. Advisors are there to help with your academic progress and to give you alternatives and hints on possible majors based on your interests.

Undeclared Advising Syllabus

Advising and Academic Services seeks to ensure you are supported at each step of your journey to declare a major at CSUSB. An advising syllabus outlines what is expected of you as a student, as well as what you can expect from your academic advisor. The syllabus also helps to provide important information on policies and tips for being a successful student. 

Academic Advising

First-year undeclared students are strongly recommended to enroll in USTD 100a Freshman Seminar course. During the class, declaring a major, developing college goals, & searching for a career are major course components.

During the advising meetings:

  • First year students will have the opportunity to meet with a Student Success Peer Advisor. Whereas continuing Undeclared students will be assigned to a staff advisor. In each case we encourage students to enroll in general education courses and assist students in doing so.

  • We encourage students to read the current CSUSB Bulletin of Courses (catalog) to get information about the University, its majors and their related career opportunities.

  • We help students to make a list of majors in which they are interested and provide contact information for the majors' advisors. During those meetings students are encouraged to inquire about academic requirements, career opportunities, possible scholarships and additional programs associated with the major.

  • We encourage them to contact the Career Development Center at (909) 537-5250 and attend a 'Declaring A Major' workshop.

  • Help students to understand their PAWS.

  • Monitors how long students are undeclared. As the student approaches 90 units they are 'required' to meet with a faculty advisor of a major they are thinking of to learn what the department has to offer to reach their future goals. Registration holds are placed until they declare a major.

  • Help students become familiar with academic support resources and services like the Learning and Writing Centers.

  • Your professors are another great source of information. Stop by during their office hours and talk with them.

Declare Your Major

Once you know what you want to major in, stop by the Office of the Registrar in University Hall, Rm 171 or go to the Office of the Registrar website and complete a Change of Major Form (PDF) There will be a $6 fee, which you must pay at the Bursars' office in University Hall, Rm 035 in order to file.