**If you are a Financial Aid recipient and if approved, funds may have to be returned for the term(s) in question. Consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to processing this petition.
The Withdrawal Petition for Extenuating Circumstances can now be submitted online.
Please review the Withdrawal Petition instructions.
Have questions? Please e-mail Janet Brooks at email@example.com.
Please allow 5 - 7 working days for processing.
Requests for Withdrawal after the Census date or Retroactive Term Withdrawals shall be permitted for serious and compelling reasons, where the cause of withdrawal was due to circumstances clearly beyond the student's control and an Incomplete could not be assigned. Extenuating circumstances must be shown to have prevented withdrawal in a more timely fashion. Documentation is required. If approved, courses will be withdrawn and will be noted with a “W” on the permanent record. Such withdrawals will not count against the 28 units students are allowed to withdraw.
Circumstances acceptable for review:
- Due to documented medical injury or illness.
- Due to documented psychological reasons.
- Due to emergency military obligation reasons.
- Death of an immediate family member during the term in question
Documented university personnel miscommunication or error.
Not acceptable reasons:
- Poor performance
- Poor attendance
- Employment related
- Lack of awareness of withdrawal procedures
Requirements for All courses in Term to Be Retroactively Withdrawn
The documentation must fulfill the following five requirements:
- Have the student’s name as the primary subject. This includes situations in which the student became a primary caregiver to a family member during the term in question. A letter from a physician or nurse indicating the student’s role is acceptable.
- Be an original document, not photocopied. There may be exceptions such as police reports, death certificates, or released medical records. Faxed documentation may be acceptable in situations where documentation source is out-of-state or country.
Documentation which appears to have been forged or altered will result in university student disciplinary action.
- Be written on official letterhead stationary, with an office logo, an address, phone number and contact person. In cases involving university personnel miscommunication or error, an Email from the department is acceptable. In cases involving the death of an immediate family member (parent, grandparent, sibling, guardian, or child) a funeral program or a public obituary notice is acceptable.
- The date or time period related to the reason for the retroactive withdrawal must be within the term in question and must be stated in the documentation.
Signed by the professional providing the support. Acceptable professionals include physicians, psychologists, CSUSB Counseling Center Staff, social work or rehab personnel, EOP or SAIL counselor, pastor, priest, rabbi, clergy official or lawyer.
The petition will be denied if one or more of the above six requirements are not satisfactorily completed.
Additional Requirement For Partial Withdrawal for the term.
An explanation as to why only requesting partial withdrawal even though the documentation supports a complete withdrawal for the term.
Limit on how many terms a students can retroactively withdraw: 2 Terms