Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region

Leave of Absence

Leave of Absence for Undergraduates

*If you are a graduate student, please visit the Graduate Studies website

If you will be taking time off from CSUSB, we highly suggest meeting with your academic advisor to discuss your decision and consider other alternatives. 

We encourage you to do following if you plan to take time off or no longer attend CSUSB:

  • Ensure that you drop courses for the current and upcoming term(s).
  • Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if you received aid to determine if you need to return any financial aid funds prior to dropping courses.
  • If applicable, pay any remaining balance owed to university.
  • International students should consult with the Center for International Studies before filling out this or a Leave of Absence form. 
  • Meet and consult with an academic advisor to discuss options and appropriate procedures based upon your individual circumstances.
Missing only one semester

If you will only be missing one semester and will return for the following semester, no Leave of Absence form is required. Instead, please make sure to fill out the Stop Out form

Missing more than one semester

If you would like to take more than one semester off a Leave of Absence (LOA) is required to remain active at CSUSB. The LOA covers both emergent and planned interruptions or situations. With an approved LOA, you can maintain enrollment eligibility and current degree requirements.

LOA should be submitted before the expected term of absence. The LOA starts with the first semester of absence indicated on the form. Retroactive requests for medical and military LOA may be considered if supported by documented extenuating circumstances. Personal and planned educational leaves cannot be retroactive. The maximum duration for any leave of absence is two calendar years, although exceptions may be granted due to documented extenuating circumstances.

Please review the University Bulletin for the complete Leave of Absence policy. Contact the Office of Advising and Academic Services in University Hall, Room 380 (UH-380) for more information.

The Leave of Absence petition can now be submitted through your MyCoyote Student Center. Please review the instructions below. 

Leave of Absence "How-To" Guide

How to Request an Extension

Please allow 5 - 7 working days for processing. If you have any questions, please contact Janet Brooks at

Contact the Office of the Registrar if you plan to return earlier than your approved Leave of Absence.

No longer planning to attend CSUSB

Have you decided to no longer attend CSUSB? We highly suggest meeting with your academic advisor to discuss your decision and consider other alternatives. 

If you will no longer attend CSUSB, please make sure to submit the Stop Out form