Advancement to CandidacyCandidacy denotes that the student is fully qualified to complete the final stages of the Master of Fine Arts program in Studio Art and Design, and is thus eligible to enroll in ART 695, Master's Project. To be formally advanced to candidacy, the student must have:
- Completed the graduate entrance writing requirement. Students are urged to complete this requirement as early in their program as possible, and prior to taking any art history course work in the department;
- Achieved classified status;
- Been accepted by an advisor to supervise the course of study;
- Completed, with the approval of the Art Department graduate coordinator, at least 30 quarter units of applicable course work at this university, and achieved a minimum grade of "B" (3.0) in each of these courses;
- Successfully completed an advancement review conducted by the Department of Art graduate committee and graduate coordinator;
- Filed a program of graduate course work prepared in consultation with the student's advisor and approved by the Art Department graduate coordinator.
Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 90-quarter units of approved graduate-level work, with at least 63 completed at this university;
- A grade of at least 3.0 ("B") in all courses taken to satisfy the Master of Fine Arts degree requirements;
- Completion and exhibition of an acceptable project, and submission of a report and documentation of the project approved by the student's graduate committee and the Art Department graduate coordinator;
- The graduation writing requirement is met upon successful completion of the written report that accompanies the master's project in ART 695;
- Any general requirements not cited above for graduate degrees and noted on Page 368 in Bulletin of Courses 2011-12.
For more information please visit our website. Department of Art
For official information please refer to the university catalog.