Advancement to Candidacy
To be advanced to candidacy, a student must have:
- Achieved classified standing;
- Completed at least 20 quarter units of applicable graduate-level course work at the university, with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 ("B");
- Completed an approved graduate program plan in consultation with an M.P.A. advisor after achieving classified status;
- Secured the approval of candidacy from the M.P.A. Graduate Director and the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 48 quarter units of acceptable graduate-level work, consistent with the program plan (with a grade point average of 3.0), with at least 36 units completed at this university;
- At least 28 quarter units of credit taken after advancement to candidacy for the degree;
- Successful completion of the required core and elective courses as outlined in the curriculum section;
- A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") in all course work taken after admission to conditionally classified or classified status, and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in all courses in the program;
- Successful completion of the graduate research project. The graduate research project is defined as an advanced field study in public administration including both literary and empirical research. This requirement is met by the student's enrollment in PA 695 during the last quarter of work in the program and completion of the project to the satisfaction of the student's advisor.
Successful completion of an integrative comprehensive examination which may be taken any fall, winter or spring term after advancement to candidacy. Students with a grade point average below 3.0 ("B") will not be permitted to take the examination. A "no credit" (NC) designation will be entered on the student's transcript if he/she fails the examination. Students who do not receive a passing grade may elect to:
- Repeat the examination, one additional time only, with the written approval of the Department's M.P.A. Graduate Director;
- Note: With the written approval of the department's M.P.A. Graduate Director, students who do not receive a passing grade after repeating the examination may complete PA 695. Graduate Research Project.
The examination will be offered fall, winter and spring quarters. Only students who are currently classified, have been advanced to candidacy and are not on probation may take the examination.
- Successful completion of M.P.A. core courses, with a grade point average of "B" or better, which require students to write in a manner appropriate for the discipline; and
- Preparation of an acceptable Graduate Research Project (PA 695);
- Successful completion of M.P.A. core courses, with a grade point average of "B" or better which require students to write in a manner appropriate for the discipline; and
- PA 999. Comprehensive Examination (0) which requires acceptable expository writing skills;
For more information please visit our website. Department of Public Administration
For official information please refer to the university catalog.