Admission to the M.P.A. Program
In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university;
- A grade point average of 3.0 or above for the last 90 quarter units (or 60 semester units) of course work including postbaccalaureate course work or at least a 2.75 and a combined score of (GPA x 350) + GRE = 1950. For example, a 2.75 GPA in the last 90 quarter units would require a GRE score of 988 and GPA score of 2.95 would need a GRE of 918;
- Competence in the following prerequisite courses or their equivalents:
- MGMT 306. Expository Writing for Administration (with a grade of "B" or better)
- MATH 305. Statistics: Hypothesis Testing and Estimation
SCM 210. Applied Business Statistics
- PA 575. Internship in Public Administration (May be waived dependent upon related work experience.)
- Competence in the above prerequisite courses may be demonstrated by:
- Formal completion of the course or its equivalent.
- Credit by examination.
- Waiver based on specialized work experience; must have documentation of work directly related to course to be waived; and must be approved by the department's M.P.A. Graduate Director. (Students requesting waiver of any prerequisite courses must petition the M.P.A. Graduate Director. Inquiries about a challenge examination or substitution for MGMT 306 should be directed to the Dean of Graduate Studies.)
No more than 12 units of graduate credit earned in unclassified/ conditionally classified standing may be counted toward meeting the requirements for the degree.
Students who meet all entrance requirements except course prerequisites may be admitted to the program in a conditionally classified status until those prerequisite deficiencies are removed, at which time they will be advanced to classified graduate standing in the program. Only fully classified students, however, may enroll in 600-level courses unless they have written consent from the school graduate director.
For more information please visit our website. Department of Public Administration
For official information please refer to the university catalog.