- The program of study should be interdisciplinary, including course work from two or more departments represented at the university;
- The program of study must include a minimum of 48 quarter units of course work, at least 70% of all course work taken must be in 500- or 600-level courses;
- The program of study must not include more than eight units of independent study course work, excluding the units allowed for thesis or project;
- The program must include a synthesizing experience (comprehensive examination, project or thesis). This experience will satisfy the graduation writing requirement. The project or thesis may include an oral defense. Students may register for no more than nine units of thesis or project credit. The project or thesis may include an oral defense;
- The program of study must include a course in research methods in the major discipline;
- A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") must be earned in course work taken to satisfy the Master of Arts degree requirements and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in all courses in the program. Grades of "C-" (1.7) or less cannot be used toward the degree;
- When students have completed between 12 and 20 units of course work on an approved study plan, it will be necessary for them to submit a formal letter to the Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies requesting advancement to candidacy;
- Any additional general requirements not cited above and listed on Page 368.
For more information please visit our website. Office of Graduate Studies
For official information please refer to the university catalog.