Graduate Degree Programs
Graduate Studies is a large part of the university. At any given time approximately one quarter of the students attending CSUSB already have bachelor's degrees and are earning certificates, credentials, master's degrees, a doctorate, or are pursuing knowledge for their own pleasure. Graduate Studies offers varied advanced courses of study, including professional programs leading to the world of work, and academic master's degrees preparing the student for the Ph.D. as well as advanced professional degrees, such as medicine and law. Nationally recognized and nationally accredited programs are among the Graduate Studies offerings.
Most classes are offered at convenient hours for working students. Financial assistance, research and travel funds are available, with some special financial aid programs aimed at creating a more diverse university faculty.
The Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies encourages graduate education and works to create programs of quality that respond to the needs of students and of the university's service area. Additionally, the office administers the M.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies, the Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program (see Page 66) and is responsible for the following functions for all graduate programs:
- Waiver petitions for the Graduate Writing Requirement, the seven-year limit for course work, the 12-unit limit for classification, and leaves of absence
- Petitions by all unclassified postbaccalaureate students
- The CSUSB Student Research Conference
- The Graduate Equity Fellowship Program
- The California Pre-Doctoral Program
The university offers the following graduate programs culminating in master's degrees:
- Accountancy M.S.
- Art M.A.
- Biology M.S.
- Business Administration M.B.A.
- Business Administration M.B.A. for Executives
- Business Administration M.B.A. for Professionals
- Child Development M.A.
- Communication Studies M.A.
- Computer Science M.S.
- Counseling and Guidance M.S.
- Creative Writing M.F.A.
- Criminal Justice M.A.
- Earth and Environmental Sciences M.S.
- Education M.A.
with options in:
- Career And Technical Education
- Correctional And Alternative Education
- Curriculum And Instruction
- Environmental Education
- Holistic And Integrative Education
- Instructional Technology
- Reading/Language Arts
- Science Education
- Special Education
- Teaching English To Speakers Of Other Languages
- Educational Administration M.A.
- Educational Leadership Ed.D.
- English Composition M.A.
- Health Services Administration M.S.
- Interdisciplinary Studies M.A.
- Mathematics M.A.
- Mathematics M.A.T.
- National Security Studies M.A.
- Nursing M.S.
- Psychology M.A., General Experimental
- Psychology M.S.
- Public Administration M.P.A.
- Public Health M.P.H.
- Rehabilitation Counseling M.A.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Education M.S.
- Social Sciences M.A.
- Social Work M.S.W.
- Spanish M.A.
- Studio Art and Design M.F.A.
- Theatre Arts M.A.
The university offers the following graduate programs culminating in a fine arts degree:
The university offers the following graduate program culminating in a doctorate degree: