Admission to Program
The Executive Board, with recommendations from the Admissions Committee will oversee the specific admissions processes for the program, review candidate applications and make admissions decisions. The graduate admissions standards of the university shall apply to all Ed.D. candidates.The Ed.D. program requires the following of applicants for admission to the doctoral program:
- A completed application;
- An earned baccalaureate degree and master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in upper-division and graduate study combined;
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended since high school graduation (no exceptions);
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from three sections of the General Test taken within the last five years with a recommended total score of 1000 or higher;
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in the field attesting to the leadership ability and scholarship potential of the candidate; included shall be one letter from a school site or university administrator and at least one letter from a university faculty member preferably with a doctoral degree that addresses the applicant's potential for academic success in a doctoral program. Letters must be sent directly to the Office of Doctoral Studies.
- A written statement of purpose reflecting an understanding of the challenges facing the public schools or community colleges/institutions of higher education in California;
- A written detailed plan indicating his/her plan for meeting the demands of the program and his/her professional responsibilities.
- Sufficient preparation and experience to benefit from the program;
- Demonstrated educational leadership potential and skills including successful experience in school, postsecondary, community, and/or policy leadership;
- Demonstrated academic excellence, problem-solving ability, technology proficiency, and interest in critically assessing and bringing about improvements to current educational policies and practices; and
- A personal interview.
For more information please visit our website. Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership
For official information please refer to the university catalog.