Advancement to Candidacy
In order to be advanced to candidacy, a student must have:
- Achieved classified standing;
- Completed at least 16 quarter units of acceptable course work at this university, with the approval of the program advisors and with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 ("B") or better. At least eight units must be in Science Education and completion of EDUC 605. The remaining four units may be in science or science education;
Note: Between the time of completing 16 units and 20 units of applicable course work, the student is required to apply for advancement to candidacy.
- Satisfactorily completed EDUC 605;
- Filed an approved graduate program for completion of the degree. This must be prepared in consultation with a program advisor from the Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education and the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 48 quarter units of acceptable graduate level work, with at least 34 completed in residence at this university, and 34 of the 48 units be taken at the 500- to 600-level;
- Completion of the 30 unit core in education, science education, and natural sciences. Two specified courses in education; five specified courses in science education, and one specified course in natural sciences;
- A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") in course work taken to satisfy the Master of Arts degree requirements and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in all courses in the program;
- Successful completion of A or B below:
- Masters Degree Project/Thesis Option
- EDSC 699. Masters Thesis/Project in Science Education
- EDSC 999. Comprehensive Examination and an additional four units of science
For more information please visit our website. Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education
For official information please refer to the university catalog.