Advancement to Candidacy

Advancement to Candidacy

In order to be advanced to candidacy a student must have the following:

  1. Achieved classified standing;
  2. Completed with a grade point average of 3.0 ("B"), at least 16 quarter units of applicable course work in graduate standing, at least 12 of which have been taken at this campus and approved by an advisor in the College of Education;

    Note: Between the time of completing 15 and 23 units of applicable course work the student is required to apply for advancement to candidacy.
  3. Satisfactorily completed EDCA 614 and EDUC 603;
  4. Secured approval of candidacy from the College of Education;
  5. Filed an approved graduate program for completion of the degree. This must be prepared in consultation with an advisor in the College of Education and approved by the program coordinator.

Requirements for Graduation

  1. A minimum of 48 quarter units of acceptable graduate level work, with a minimum of 35 completed in residence at this university;
  2. A minimum of 23 units taken after the student has been advanced to candidacy for the degree;
  3. A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") in course work taken to satisfy the Master of Arts degree requirements and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in all courses in the program;
  4. The graduation writing requirement is met upon successful completion the Master's Degree Thesis/Project;
  5. Successful completion of one of the following two tracks:
    • Track A. Master's Thesis/Project (8)

      1. EDUC 600. Master's Degree Project
      2. Four units of electives.
        • The purpose of the thesis/project is twofold. First, it demonstrates that the student has adopted a research agenda consistent with the needs of both the professional community and the researcher or scholar. Second, it demonstrates willingness and ability to direct one's effort to completion of a salient initiative.
        • A satisfactory thesis/project is one which reflects original works and shows a level of competence appropriate for a master's degree. A thesis/project can be reported in the form of a paper and/or through other media. Students who plan to go on to doctoral studies are encouraged to discuss the thesis/project option with their advisor.
        • A thesis/project will be planned in consultation with the student's advisor and one other professor in the College of Education and submitted in an approved format. Further information is available from the College of Education regarding the approved format. Students who choose the thesis/project option must enroll in four units in the elective category with approval of an advisor.

      Track B. Comprehensive Examination

      1. EDCA 999. Comprehensive Examination
      2. Eight units of electives.
        • The written comprehensive examination is designed to test the student's knowledge in the field of correctional and alternative education. Students may take the examination twice. Students who choose the comprehensive examination option must successfully complete eight units in the electives category with approval of an advisor;
    • The graduation writing requirement is met upon successful completion of EDUC 600 or EDCA 999.

A minimum of 26 units in courses numbered 600 or above must be included in the graduate program. The program may not include more than 13 quarter units in approved extension and transfer courses from other colleges or universities. California State University, San Bernardino will not consider for transfer credit course work from an institution which will not accept that work in its own advanced degree program. Any additional general requirements not cited above are listed on Page 368.

For more information please visit our website. Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling