Advancement to Candidacy

Advancement to Candidacy

In order to be formally advanced to candidacy, applicants must have:

  1. Been accepted to the College of Education as a classified graduate student;
  2. Completed the graduate entrance writing requirement;
  3. Filed an approved graduate program form for completion of the degree.

As the Career and Technical Education core consists of three sequential courses: ECTS 637, 638 and 639, students should start with the EDUC 306 writing requirement, then complete Emphasis areas and the Education core courses, EDUC 603, 605 and 607.

Requirements for Graduation

  1. A minimum of 45 quarter units of acceptable work, with 32 completed in residence at this university;
  2. A minimum of 22 units of credit taken after a student has been advanced to candidacy for the degree;
  3. A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") in course work taken to satisfy the Master of Arts degree requirements and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in all courses in the program;
  4. Registration and successful completion of a master's degree project (EDUC 600) or comprehensive examination (ECTS 999);
  5. The graduation writing requirement is met upon successful completion of the master's degree project or comprehension examination;
  6. Any additional general requirements not cited above and listed on Page 368.

A satisfactory project is one which can be reported in the form of a paper and/or through other media. The project proposal must be approved by the student's advisor and one other professor in the College of Education and submitted in an approved format. Further information is available from the College of Education regarding an approved format for the project proposal and project.

Students will be encouraged to present projects in a variety of media. The purpose of the project is for the student to communicate ideas gained in research, experimentation and creative endeavors; therefore, students should not feel bound to the traditional forms. All projects will be planned in consultation with the student's advisor. The program may not include more than 13 quarter units in approved extension and transfer courses from other colleges. California State University, San Bernardino will not consider for transfer credit course work from an institution which will not accept that work in its own advanced degree program.

For more information please visit our website. Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education