Advancement to Candidacy

In order to be formally advanced to candidacy a student must have:

  1. Achieved classified graduate standing;
  2. Completed 20 quarter units of coursework with a grade point average of 3.0 ("B"), to include ECLG 619, 654 and 656;
  3. Filed an approved graduate program for completion of the degree. This must be prepared in consultation with a program advisor and approved by the program coordinator.

Requirements for Graduation

  1. A minimum of 72 quarter units of graduate-level work, with a minimum of 54 units completed in residency at this university;
  2. A minimum of 25 quarter units of credit taken after a student has been advanced to candidacy for the degree;
  3. A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") in course work taken to satisfy the degree requirements, including a minimum of a "B" in ECLG 531 and 657A, a grade of "Credit" in ECLG 657B, and no grade below a "C" (2.0) in all other courses in the program;
  4. The graduation writing requirement is met either through demonstrated competence by comprehensive examination, or through completion of a Master's degree project;
  5. Completion of a graduation requirement check;
  6. Any additional requirements not cited above and listed on page 368 of the 2012-2014 Bulletin of Courses.

The comprehensive examination is designed to test the student's knowledge of the field of counseling and guidance. The examination is a standardized national exam, the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE). The student will take the examination during the fourth fieldwork experience course. The student must be advanced to candidacy one quarter before taking the comprehensive examination. The student must complete a graduation check with the Office of Records, Registration and Evaluations before permission to take the examination can be granted. Students who do not receive a passing score may petition the College of Education to retake the examination. Students who do not receive a passing score the second time must petition the Dean of Graduate Studies to retake the exam. Approval to retake the examination may be, at any time, contingent upon completion of additional designated courses.

A Master's research project can be reported in the form of a paper, which could include other media. The project proposal and the project must be approved by the student's advisor and one other professor in the College of Education and submitted in an approved format. Further information is available in the Graduate Thesis and Project handbook available through the Graduate Studies Office. Students who elect to complete a project are not required to take a comprehensive exam or submit a portfolio.

The program may not include more than 18 quarter units in extension and transfer credit from other colleges. California State University, San Bernardino will not consider for transfer credit course work from an institution which will not accept that work in its own advanced degree program.

For more information please visit our website. Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling