Advancement to Candidacy
In order to be advanced to candidacy, the student must have:
- Achieved classified status;
- Been accepted by a major advisor from the Department of Biology, if a thesis project is selected;
- Completed at least 15 quarter units of work applicable to the degree program as a graduate student at this university with the approval of the Department of Biology Graduate Committee, and with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 ("B");
- Gained a recommendation for advancement to candidacy from the Department of Biology Graduate Committee;
- Submitted a formal program of graduate course work prepared in consultation with and approved by the Department of Biology Graduate Committee;
- Gained final approval of the program and of the candidacy itself by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 45 quarter units of acceptable graduate-level work included in the formal program, with no less than 32 units completed in residence at this university and with at least 24 units gained from 600-level courses in biology;
- Advancement to candidacy for the degree and approval of the specific program of courses;
- A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") in all graduate course work fulfilling the requirements of the Master of Science in Biology and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in each course in the program;
- Completion of a final oral examination concluded by acceptance of the thesis (Plan I); or satisfactory completion of the Comprehensive Final Examination (Plan II);
- The graduation writing requirement is met upon successful completion of the thesis or the written portion of the comprehensive examination;
- Any additional general requirements not cited above and listed on Page 368.
For more information please visit our website. Department of Biology
For official information please refer to the university catalog.