Admission to the Program
In addition to meeting the general requirements of the university for admission as a postbaccalaureate student, admission to the reading certificate requires the following:
- A valid California Multiple Subject or Single Subject credential and at least one year of full-time teaching in any grades, preschool through adult, exclusive of student teaching, internship teaching, or teaching while holding an emergency credential or permit;
- A 3.0 grade point average in all course work taken in education;
- Application packet (obtained from the Department of Language, Literacy and Culture or the College of Education Master's Program Office) which includes information to complete:
- Program application;
- Letter of interest which includes experiences working with diverse populations;
- Three letters of recommendation: one from the candidate's school principal, and two from other district professionals who can speak to the strengths of the applicant's personal qualities and professional qualifications;
- Upon completing the application packet, meet with the Reading/Language Arts Coordinator to complete the program plan.
Recommendation for the Certificate
In order to be recommended for the certificate, the candidate must have:
- Completed all of the prescribed course work with a grade point average of 3.0 ("B") or better;
- Verified that all California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Standards have been met;
- Verified at least three years of successful full-time teaching experience in any grades, preschool through adult, exclusive of student teaching, internship teaching, or teaching while holding an emergency credential or permit;
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from the coordinator of the program.
Certificate Requirements (20 units)
- ERDG 620. Foundations of Reading and Writing (4)
- Note: This course is the prerequisite for all courses in the program.
- ERDG 622. Basic Materials and Approaches to Reading and Writing (4)
- ERDG 625. Practicum in Reading and Writing (4)
- ERDG 640. Early Reading: Assessment and Intervention (4)
- ERDG 642. Images of Culture through Children's Literature (4)